Another Korean movie to watch this summer after “Escape from Mogadishu” is “Sinkhole,” which was released on August 11. Here are things to know about “Sinkhole,” the new Korean movie box office starring Lee Kwang Soo.
6 Things to Know about “SINKHOLE” New Korean Movie Box Office Starring Lee Kwang Soo in 2021
1. Helmed by a great director & scriptwriter.
The movie “Sinkhole” helmed by Director Kim Ji Hoon. His famous film is in 2012 “The Tower”, where Son Ye Jin was one of the casts. While Jeon Cheol Hong, who wrote the popular historical drama “The Admiral: Roaring Currents,” penned the movie script.
2. The movie cost of production.
“Sinkhole” has a production cost of ₩15 billion. Moreover, before released in South Korea, it had its world premiere on August 6 at the “74th Locarno Film Festival,” which held in Locarno, Switzerland. “Sinkhole” is the second Korean film that invited to the ‘Piazza Grande’ section after “Tunnel” in 2016, which is also a disaster genre movie.
3. Sets a new record of the 2021 Korean movie record on its premiere.
“Sinkhole” broke the “Escape from Mogadishu” record for ticket sales on its opening day. According to the Korean Film Council (KOFIC), “Sinkhole” sold 147,304 tickets and earned $1.17 million on its premiere. Meanwhile, “Escape from Mogadishu” drew 127.000 audiences on the first day.
4. The fastest Korean film to surpass 1 million ticket sales in 2021.
According to the film’s distributor, Showbox, and the Korean Film Council, “Sinkhole” hit 1,000,792 moviegoers as of August 16. So, it’s one day faster than the previous No.1 box office, “Escape from Mogadishu,” to reach 1 million.
5. Korean movie “Sinkhole” No.1 at the box office for six days in a row.
The movie “Sinkhole” topped the box office on the first weekend as of August 16, has a total number of screens of 1,584, a total admission of 1,141,971, and a total gross of $9,590,110.
6. “Sinkhole” Lee Kwang Soo’s first comeback on the silver screen.
Among the movie “Sinkhole” cast members, Lee Kwang Soo is famous as a variety star rather than an actor. However, after he resigned from a popular variety show “Running Man,” his role as Kim Seung Hyun in “Sinkhole” marking his comeback on the silver screen and as one of the leading roles after his role as Park Dong Goo in “Inseparable Bros” (2019).
Korean movie box office “Sinkhole” (2021) cast and synopsis.
Korean movie “Sinkhole” cast are Cha Seung Won, Kim Sung Kyun, Lee Kwang Soo, and Kim Hye Joon.
The movie “Sinkhole” is a drama, comedy, and disaster genre movie. It follows an average family man named Park Dong-won (Kim Sung Kyun) and his family who move into their new apartment. He finally bought his house after years of hard work. So one day, he invites his co-workers Kim Seung Hyung (Lee Kwang Soo) and Eun Joo (Kim Hye Joon) to have a housewarming party. However, in the evening, the building is swallowed by a sinkhole and leaving Dong-won, his colleagues, and neighbor ( Cha Seung Won) stranded a hundred meters underground and must find their way out.
Watch “Sinkhole” trailer below.
Subscribe to the Kpoppost Telegram channel for our latest stories and breaking news.
More to read about Kdrama & Kmovie:
- 7 Fun Facts about New Netflix Original Series’ DP’ Starring Jung Hae In
- Actress Park Bo Young Gives Out Donation of 100,000 Masks to Firefighters
- Top 50 Korean Drama Actor Brand Reputation Rankings in August 2021
- Top 50 Most Popular Korean Movie Star Brand Reputation Rankings in July 2021
- 8 Famous Korean Actors Who Once Trained to be Professional Athletes