At the 2023 SBS Drama Awards, a notable event took place that captured the attention of audiences and the media alike. The sea of celebrities opted to dress in black, a symbol of mourning for the late actor Lee Sun Kyun,. However, actress Lee Sung Kyung made a controversy by arriving in a striking white dress. This choice stood out at the solemn ceremony, sparking discussions and bringing to light the nuances of public expressions of grief in the entertainment industry.
Honoring Lee Sun Kyun: Grief and Solidarity at the SBS Drama Awards
The “2023 SBS Drama Awards,” held on December 29 KST, was widely characterized as a somber event. This year’s ceremony coincided with the private funeral of the late actor Lee Sun Kyun. Consequently, many of the attending celebrities chose to wear black, symbolizing their state of grief. In solidarity, the cast and crew of the SBS drama “Payback,” did not participate in the awards ceremony.
During the event, many actors and actresses, especially those who had worked with Lee Sun Gyun in past projects, dedicated portions of their acceptance speeches to honor him.
Lee Sung Kyung’s White Dress
However, not every star present had a personal connection with the late actor, and their responses to the occasion varied.
This divergence was particularly noticeable when actress Lee Sung Kyung arrived on the “2023 SBS Drama Awards” red carpet. She chose to wear a white dress, deviating from the unofficial black dress code adopted by her peers. This choice attracted some negative attention and criticism from online communities.
Netizens Defend Lee Sung Kyung
Many netizens swiftly came to Lee Sung Kyung’s defense regarding her choice to wear a white dress. They expressed opposition to pressuring individuals into publicly displaying mourning if they choose not to. They emphasized the importance of respecting personal decisions in such matters.
- “No one should be pressured into mourning for someone they maybe didn’t even know.”
- “It’s an award ceremony, not a funeral though? Why are they suddenly acting like Lee Sun Gyun was the only important thing that happened in 2023?”
- “Come on, did a national hero die or something? What is going on with this overly dramatic reaction?”
- “Lee Sung Kyung looked like one of the few sane people at the show honestly. She looked very pretty. And there’s no rule that says black is the only appropriate color to wear to a funeral or other solemn event. And is it me or did some of the actresses who wore black yesterday look like they wanted to show skin more than they wanted to mourn in their black dresses?”
- “Just so you guys know, it’s perfectly acceptable to wear muted colors like black, white, and gray to a funeral or to show that you’re mourning. Black isn’t the absolute rule.”
- “It was actually refreshing to see Lee Sung Kyung in the white dress. Everyone else looked like they really wanted to be somewhere else.”
- “An award ceremony should be a celebration for everyone, not a place for a select few people to impose their personal thoughts and opinions on others.”
- “It’s not sitting well with me that the drama/film industries are acting like this, as if some great hero passed away. It’s fine to mourn over someone you worked with or knew well, but there are plenty of ways to mourn privately without making others feel uncomfortable.”
What do you think of Lee Sung Kyung’s decision to wear a white dress to the 2023 SBS Drama Awards? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section below.
Stay with us on Kpoppost’s Instagram, Threads, Facebook, Twitter, Telegram channel, and Discord server for more Korean entertainment news and updates. You can also join our exclusive membership. You might be able to join our upcoming exclusive community events and win exciting prizes!