The recent news about Red Velvet Irene attitude shocked the internet. Several cosmetic stores have removed all contents featuring Red Velvet Irene. Regarding this matter, CLINIQUE Korea has not taken any action. Yet, SM Entertainment and Irene have released official statements.
Red Velvet Irene, Official Ambassador of CLINIQUE Korea
Back in March 2020, Red Velvet Irene officially became the ambassador of the cosmetic brand CLINIQUE Korea. Since then, she has been working with CLINIQUE in promoting its beauty products.
Red Velvet Irene Attitude Controversy
A stylist and editor identified as “A” had uploaded a post on his Instagram targeted a female idol that he didn’t mention. The stylist criticized the idol’s low manner and behavior. Although it was not mentioned, netizens speculated that it was Red Velvet Irene from some accumulated evidence.
Today, I found myself in the position of an “eul” (person in a subordinate position to “gap”) and got thoroughly stepped on by someone. Even before I met her, other people told me that I needed to be mentally prepared to meet her.
Today, I was at the brunt of her electric needles and lost my words. I stood still as if my hands, feet, and brain were tied up. I became a fool as I could not do anything in front of someone that was looking at me with such distaste while shuddering. I was hit endlessly by the knives she threw out with her tongue, and so I cried. I couldn’t be bothered with caring about who I was in front of. I just couldn’t contain my tears. #psycho #monsterStylist “A”
Cosmetic Stores Removed Contents Featuring Red Velvet Irene
Following the controversy, several cosmetic stores like Olive Young and online shopping mall SSG.com have removed all contents featuring Red Velvet Irene. Most CLINIQUE products are now on the websiteswithout Irene’s pictures.
On Twitter, a conversation between Olive Young part-timers also went viral. They said that there was an official notice to remove the Power Pack model (Irene).
CLINIQUE Korea Action
On the contrary, the brand itself has not made any official response to the matter. They have not removed any contents featuring Red Velvet Irene from their official Instagram account.
Looking at the growing situation, some netizens insist CLINIQUE Korea make a response:
- “It only makes sense if you understand the dynamics of how cosmetic models work. No one will want to buy CLINIQUE products if they keep using someone who’s involved in an attitude controversy as the model.”
- “What a bummer for the brand, though. It hasn’t even been that long since they signed the endorsement with Irene. It’s unfortunate for the brand… but their reputation is on the line. CLINIQUE Korea should act quickly…”
- “The industry is super sensitive to this kind of thing too. The model’s face is the brand’s reputation because of it’s make-up. It goes on our faces. I’m not surprised that Olive Young and SSG.com reacted as quickly and as extremely as they did.”
Read more about Red Velvet
- 11 ‘Hidden Gems’ Tracks by Red Velvet on Your Playlist
- Blackpink and Red Velvet Show KPop Girl Groups Sweet Friendship
- Watch Monster MV and Listen to Irene and Seulgi First Mini-Album
- Red Velvet Updates: Plan of Red Velvet Comeback, and Watch Stunning “Naughty” MV!
- TheReveCon: Red Velvet Online Concert Power-Up The ReVeLuvs