Back in 2019, Mattel launched BTS dolls for the first time. While international ARMY fans were amazed by the love and attention the group received from Mattel, the American toy company best known for creating Barbie dolls, some fans were left confused. Furthermore, the BTS dolls from Mattel have been repeatedly resurfacing and returning to the shelves, and this time with discounted price.
Mattel X BTS Dolls Made a Shocking Comeback at Daiso
Fast forwarding three years after the initial launch, on December 25, a post shared a picture of Mattel’s BTS dolls collection on Daiso shelves. The post instantly received over 500 comments, and most showed how shocked they were to see the dolls’ return.
- “I thought we got rid of this collection by buying them all?”
- “Omg, the dolls are still wearing 2018 outfits lol.”
- “brb, I’m going to Daiso now. Can’t believe those still exist.”
- “^Well, other merch doesn’t come back once they are sold out. But why does this one keep coming back…”
Additionally, in May 2023, the official Mattel storefront on NAVER listed the seven-pack at a discounted price of KR₩17,900 (approximately US$13.50). ARMY was left shocked and confused by the dolls’ return and the discounted price.
- “Wow… This makes me uncomfortable indeed.”
- “WHO PAID FULL PRICE FOR THIS? Hi, it’s me. LMAO.”
- “I think MATTEL thinks the demand is still high because of the fans who keep selling them out to get rid of them.”
- “HAHA! I’ve seen this before. I heard that BTS fans are trying to get rid of these by buying them out.”
- “These are terrifying… I’m so scared.”
Mattel Launched BTS Dolls; ARMY Were Divided
The American toy company Mattel first announced its collaboration with Kpop sensation BTS and BigHit Entertainment in January 2019. They also announced to launch the “first edition” of BTS dolls. According to a press release on Mattel’s website, it “will create dolls, collectible figures, games, and more.”
At that time, ARMY was excited to see the love and attention their Kpop group got. Even Forbes predicted that with fans’ dedication, BTS dolls would be a hit.
However, the initial impressions of the Mattel X BTS dolls didn’t meet ARMY’s expectations. There even was a running joke among ARMY, “the only way to get rid of the Mattel BTS collection is to buy them out.” The joke seemed to work and cleared up the dolls from the shop shelves.
Why Fans Despised The Dolls
For some ARMY, Mattel’s BTS dolls do not represent RM, Jin, Suga, j-hope, Jimin, V, and Jungkook well enough.
“Oof. I’m going to be honest. I was really disappointed with how the dolls came out. The faces were ok (for most of them) but the hairstyles were kinda awful.”Laure Mapembe, Quora
The dolls edits by ARMY
As loyal fans, ARMY couldn’t do nothing seeing their idols’ images were “ruined.” Some artsy ARMY decided to redo Mattel’s BTS dolls to represent the members better.
bts mattel dolls with accurate hair pic.twitter.com/LVQO6YakRk— c ♡ ⟭⟬ (@smol309) March 26, 2019
eyebrows changed and lessened the makeup a bit pic.twitter.com/fuDgo3bN7t— c ♡ ⟭⟬ (@smol309) March 26, 2019
eyebrow and jaw change pic.twitter.com/Thl1pqa5Ca— c ♡ ⟭⟬ (@smol309) March 26, 2019
eyebrows changed and eyes a bit lowered pic.twitter.com/ZvgLHNaQ7r— c ♡ ⟭⟬ (@smol309) March 26, 2019
yoonie already looks like a pretty pouty doll so i didn’t need to change his face uwu pic.twitter.com/Z4nbc3ht37— c ♡ ⟭⟬ (@smol309) March 26, 2019
brows changed and i kinda cheated and made his lips more pink pic.twitter.com/kHKXaBBiYI— c ♡ ⟭⟬ (@smol309) March 26, 2019
boldened his eyebrows bc jins brow game is 🅱️OLD pic.twitter.com/PUTlVlWVXf— c ♡ ⟭⟬ (@smol309) March 26, 2019
More BTS-related news and stories:
- COMPLETE Timeline Schedule of BTS Festa 2023: Unforgettable 10th Anniversary!
- 15 Coolest BTS Nail Art Designs For Your Beautiful Fingers
- BTS Universe Drama YOUTH Revealed FIRST Trailer & MASSIVE Budget
- 5 Reasons Why BTS ARMY is Considered the Most Powerful Fandom
- BTS RM Appointed as Honorary Ambassador for Ministry of National Defense for Agency KIA Recovery & Identification