There seems to be no end in the plagiarism issue within Kpop industry, especially with the recent rise of the newly debuted 4th generation groups. This time, SM new boy group RIIZE is facing plagiarism accusation after their latest “Love 119” MV was reportedly too similar with “Ditto” by NewJeans. So, what happened behind this plagiarism issue between RIIZE and NewJeans and what’s the proof? Join us as we unravel all the similarities between the two videos.
The Debut Controversy Trend of Kpop 4th Generation Groups
The rising of 4th generation groups has created a whole new trend in the Kpop community. From the return of easy listening music and challenge-friendly choreography, to the rising trend of Y2K theme and fashion, rookie Kpop groups have been bringing a fresh new era for Kpop, bringing the music to the global community in a more refreshing approach.
Unfortunately, this new wave of 4th generation rookies has also brought another trend that is totally unexpected in the Kpop community: debut controversy.
Today, after overcoming the previous controversy with member Seunghan, SM new boy group RIIZE must face more issues with plagiarism accusation.
RIIZE “Love 119” and NewJeans “Ditto” MV: Was It Really a Plagiarism?
Immediately after SM new boy group RIIZE launched their new MV, “Love 119”, netizens began to discuss that it was awfully idetical to NewJeans’ previous MV, “Ditto”.
A post emerged in the South Korean online community a few days ago pointing out all the issues and unexpected similarities between the two videos. Not only it captured the same vibes and essence of school days as NewJeans’ “Ditto” but “Love 119” MV also showed similar scenes and visual elements.
Here are all the similarities between RIIZE “Love 119” and NewJeans “Ditto” MV.
The School Gym Scenes
The Bicycle Scenes
Open Air Dancing
The Snowy Field
With all these similarities, Korean netizens joked that the team behind RIIZE “Love 119” actually created the MV while watching NewJeans’ “Ditto” MV.
- “They must have created the music video while thinking of Ditto…”
- “Boo Heejoo equals Ban Heesoo (Note: Boo Heejoo is a fictional character in RIIZE’s world and Ban Heesoo in NewJean’s Ditto, both representing their fan bases). And why are they saying they cried watching the music video? They even mimicked the phone call look. But maybe that’s just a thing with analog communication apps~”
- “RIIZE’s music video was shot in Japan with a Japanese actress and seems to pay tribute to a classic Japanese romance film. Yet, it’s funny how people find it similar to NewJeans, especially after saying NewJeans wasn’t influenced by Japan.”
- “I guess it’s because they both capture a teenage essence. The basketball court, bike rides, and school uniforms all remind you of youth. But, other SM artists have done the TV scene too.”
- “The photos do look strikingly similar.”
- “As a NewJeans fan who just saw their video, I think this comparison is a bit much.”
- “The music video clearly takes cues from NewJeans’ ‘Ditto’.”
But what about you? Do you believe these two MVs are too similar as well? Please share your thoughts in the comments.
Stay with us on Kpoppost’s Instagram, Threads, Facebook, Twitter, Telegram channel, and Discord server for more Korean entertainment news and updates. You can also join our exclusive membership. You might be able to join our upcoming exclusive community events and win exciting prizes!